Sunday, September 30, 2012

Moonrise Kingdom

Something Wes Anderson This Way Comes



Wes Anderson has always been a filmmaker I've never fell in love with, but I recognize his appeal. Most of the time, I find his filmmaking style slightly annoying, and often find his stories lacking an emotional element.

The first film of his I saw was Rushmore, which I liked a good deal. I then saw The Royal Tenenbaums, which despite the stellar performances, underwhelmed me (mainly because of that emotional component that I felt was lacking, along with a less than satisfactory third-act). That film has grown on me. I also greatly enjoyed Bottle Rocket, and never saw The Darjeeling Limited or Fantastic Mr. Fox. No matter what, he's undeniably an original voice as a writer and director; you can virtually instantly recognize a Wes Anderson film after seeing a single frame.



This is especially true of Moonrise Kingdom, which is Wes Anderson style at its purest. The perfectly balanced frames. The highly recognizable use of primary colors. And his quirky, original characters, and the tangled, bizarre stories that they weave.



After first seeing it, I thought it was my favorite Wes Anderson film. After a few days, I don't think it is quite that. I think Rushmore is. And I need to rewatch The Royal Tenenbaums, as that is the favorite (or one of the favorites) among many people whose opinions I greatly admire. Moonrise Kingdom, however, is a delightfully bizarre comedy, with a touching love story unlike any other at its center. The two main child actors (both in their film debuts, I believe) are phenomenal, Edward Norton is hilarious as the Khaki Scout leader who can't quite keep control of his troop, and Bruce Willis gives a chuckle worthy, unusually controlled performance.



This is a good film. A funny film. A touching film. And a visually fascinating film. It is not deep, unlike Anderson's Rushmore, which suggests many emotions and conflict below the surface. Moonrise Kingdom doesn't. But it is good entertainment. It may end up on my Best of 2012 list come the end of the year, but it won't rank near the top. We'll just see how the year turns out. Either way, I do recommend seeing it. It's definitely an experience worth... experiencing.

***1/2/****

No comments:

Post a Comment