Thursday, August 2, 2012

Young Adult

 Bourbon, Diet Coke, and KFC


I'll kick this blog off with a little film review. I first saw this film the weekend of its release at The Landmark in Westwood (a theatre whose screens I have a few issues with). Anyway, this was during a period where I didn't sleep for about 10 straight days, so I'm not sure any of what I saw that first time even stuck with me. I saw it again about a month later, and enjoyed it just as much, if not more, than the first go-around. It should be noted I had also read the screenplay, probably a year and a half or more before the release of the film. I enjoyed it greatly, and noted at the time its significance of Diablo Cody's maturation as a writer.

I've recently purchased the blu-ray release of Young Adult and watched it yet again. This is a film of splendid, yet simple, joy. A film about 37 year old writer Mavis Gary (played by Charlize Theron) suffering from "arrested development," and who, upon receiving an email, clings to the hope of winning back her high school boyfriend. What does she do? The appropriate response - packing up, leaving Minneapolis, and heading back to her hometown to essentially stalk this old fling (Patrick Wilson).



While at a bar, getting her nightly routine of drunkenness on, she runs into Matt (Patton Oswalt), a former classmate from high school. He recognizes her. She has no idea who he is. That is, until she identifies him as the "hate crime guy."

Matt and Mavis are the two most fascinating characters in the film, and it is no surprise they give the two best performances. This is likely Oswalt's best performance, and Theron's best since her Oscar winning role in "Monster." The two grow an unlikely friendship through their mutual hatred of the world, and own self-pitying.

Maturely written by Diablo Cody, and well-directed by Jason Reitman, this film brings together some great actors, who bring to life some great characters. One of my favorite lines in the film is when Wilson says to Theron, "you know, you look the same. It's like we all got older and you just got lucky." In many ways, he's right.


***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment