Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Hunter

About as Popular as a Snake in a Sleeping Bag

Just watched this on Netflix instant, thanks to a good friend allowing me to use her Netflix account.

I liked it. Very much. This is Willem Dafoe's best performance since Antichrist (an amazing, brilliant film, but not for the squeamish). Also one of Sam Neill's best performances. The last I saw him was in the short-lived (cancelled after one season) "Alcatraz," which was a mediocre show at best. Here he is great, in his few short scenes.

This film opened on a whopping 17 screens in the US, netting a domestic gross of slightly less than $180,000. Why not a wider release? The topic probably didn't appeal to many.

"Thank you Mr. Mindy, I'd like to go on alone"

The film regards Dafoe, a mercenary, assigned to go after the thought-extinct Tasmanian Tiger. Not that interesting of a concept, I think you may suspect. I was riveted. It's a great drama, a great thriller, and a highly entertaining film. Australia, along with Korea, Canada, Britain, France, and the USA produce some of the best films in the world. Forthcoming is my review of The Loved Ones, a gruesome but outstandingly entertaining horror film.

During the film, Dafoe says, about the tiger: "It's probably better extinct. If it's alive, people will always search for it. Hunt it...... wonder if he's all alone. Living. Waiting. To die." I empathize.

Available on DVD as well as Netflix instant. I highly recommend if you enjoy a good thriller with beautiful scenery and solid performances.


***



Trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment