Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Magic Mike

"What Can We Do With Seven Hours?"


Steven Soderbergh is a fascinating filmmaking figure. He's run the gamut from low-budget, realistic drama in sex, lies, and videotape to the big budget star-studded Ocean's Eleven to the experimental Bubble and now to a comedy about male strippers in Magic Mike. Or I should say, two male strippers in particular - Mike (Channing Tatum) who has been at it for years, and the new kid, Adam (Alex Pettyfer). Mike meets Adam at their construction job, and takes him to the club. When one of the other dancers is unable to perform, Mike convinces Adam to go out on the stage. He's a hit with the women, and the owner of the club, Dallas (Matthew McConaughey), sees some potential in Adam. And thus begins the training.



I knew little about this film before I saw it. I hadn't seen a trailer. All I knew is it starred Channing Tatum, was about a male exotic dancer, and was directed by Soderbergh. I was immediately intrigued, though not particularly about the male stripper aspect (not exactly my cup of tea), but directed by Soderbergh? I had to see what this was like. And I was honestly surprised.

The film started out as I expected, if you add in Soderbergh's typical directorial style. But Magic Mike becomes something more in its second and third acts. This isn't a slapstick, absurdist comedy. In fact, it gradually becomes a much darker film than I anticipated. And this is when the film elevated itself.



For me, Soderbergh is a mixed bag of a director. He's no doubt prolific, having directed two films this year, one film last year, and two in 2009. That's just of late. I admired Haywire for its more "independent" approach to action-cinema. Its directed not in a hurky-jerky, cut every three seconds, Michael Bay style, but a sensible aesthetic that isn't an assault on the senses. I didn't so much admire its story, which I found rather bland and dull. I admired Contagion for its hyper-realistic approach to the outbreak and failed containment of a deadly virus. But that film's focus was too grand, with too many characters, and lacked an engagement on an emotional level. Magic Mike too, in a surprising twist, takes on a very realistic style. The actors embody characters who are fully realized, with hopes and aspirations, personality, histories, and flaws. Mike wants more than to be a male stripper for the rest of his life.

After viewing the film, I wondered what attracted Soderbergh to this project. I went on over to wikipedia, which sometimes provides such information. It did not in this case, but I suspect Soderbergh was attracted to the human side of this story. I learned it's based on Tatum's own experience as a male dancer, which doesn't surprise me, because on stage he has the presence of what I imagine a real exotic dancer requires. He puts on quite a show. Even if it's not exactly a show I'd jump at the opportunity to attend. I also learned Tatum's first choice to direct this film was Nicholas Winding Refn. Now *that* would have been interesting.



This is a good film. An entertaining film. And a film that provides more than a simple Netflix synopsis would suggest. Tatum showed a great talent for comedy in 21 Jump Street. Here he exhibits an equally great talent for drama. He is a good actor. I hope to see him in more good productions.

***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment