Thursday, August 16, 2012

Matthew McConaughey

I'd Like to Use this Opportunity to Take my Shirt off



I want to write a little about the rather well known actor named Matthew McConaughey. He's an actor who I've seen and heard many people treat with derision when it comes to his abilities as an actor. And, inevitably, somebody always mentions him constantly taking his shirt off. Admittedly, this is true. But so do many Hollywood actors. George Clooney? Brad Pitt? Do they get shit for it? I suspect it's because many hold McConaughey in a far lesser regard as an actor. Well, I'm here to say I humbly disagree - McConaughey is a great actor, who is only growing greater as the years progress.

He's delighted me in many roles. Some serious. Some dramatic. Some very funny. And sure, he's done his share of crap (*cough* Fool's Good *cough*). But he's performed in some great films as well, and given great performances. And I'm very much looking forward to Killer Joe, though being rated NC-17, it may be a while before I am graced with the ability to see that one.

Here's my run-down of Matthew McConaughey's best films:

8. A Time to Kill - The first starring role of McConaughey... I can't say the film is that great. It's a good film, but not one I really ever desire to rewatch. I enjoyed it, but like many Grisham films, once was enough (with the exception of The Firm and The Rainmaker, both of which are excellent and I have seen many times). Despite the mediocrity of the film itself (I'd give it a 6.5/10), McConaughey gives a worthy performance - in fact it are the performances of McConaughey, Jackson, Bullock, Spacey, et al that prevent this film from being a 150 minute slog.

7. Bernie - You can also find my review of this on my blog. A good film, with a great performance from Jack Black. But McConaughey, in my opinion, steals his scenes (some which don't include Black), and in the ones that do include Black, we've seen so much of Black's Bernie at this point, that McConaughey provides a refreshing juxtaposition. He's subtlety hilarious in every of his scenes.

6. The Lincoln Lawyer - The first film on this list where McConaughey is the star. And he gives a hell of a performance. He's charming, smart, and when he becomes stuck in a rut no attorney would ever want to find himself in, his drunken-hungover-running-on-empty presence is pure acting. Not to mention, it's a good film. Twisty, entertaining, funny at times, and rather unpredictable. With a well-shopworn genre such as the "legal film," The Lincoln Lawyer finds itself a nice entry in the pantheon of courtroom movies. It's no Anatomy of a Murder, but it also isn't any Double Jeopardy. I think I may pop in the blu-ray right after finishing this article.

5. Magic Mike - You can read my recent review of the film for my in-depth thoughts on it. All I'll say of McConaughey is - yes, he takes his shirt off - but he's damn good here. He has many scenes of great physical comedy, and his scene with Tatum about "biting the hand that feeds" is wonderful.

4. Tropic Thunder - Ben Stiller's directorial follow-up to the hilarious Zoolander is a fun, entertaining, smart, satirical romp of a film. Of course, the scene stealers here are Robert Downey, Jr. and Tom Cruise, but McConaughey is wickedly funny in his relentless search for Tugg Speedman's TiVo.

3. Frailty - Bill Paxton wrote, directed, and starred in this psychological horror film. And a good job he did. Not only is Paxton great to watch (as he always is) in the flashbacks, but McConaughey brings a mysterious presence to the scenes where he tells the story of the God's Hand Killer.

2. Dazed and Confused - McConaughey was almost not cast in this film because Linklater thought him too handsome. I'm glad Linklater followed through and cast him, because he steals each scene he's in; even if they are sparse. As David Wooderson, he plays an older (compared to the rest of the teenage cast) character who still likes to socialize with high schoolers. "That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age."

1. Lone Star - of these films, this one contains little of McConaughey on-screen as Sheriff Buddy Deeds, but the character of Buddy is the central conflict and driving force of the film. And when McConaughey is on-screen, he's a great presence; the scene early in the film wherein he confronts Kris Kristofferson is magnificent in its intensity. The film itself? One of the best screenplays ever written, and one of the best use of flashbacks in film history (which is where we see the character Buddy Deeds).

Those are the best films of McConaughey's career I have seen. There are several I have heard are good, but have yet to see - 13 Conversations About One Thing, Amistad, and Contact.

Aside from Magic Mike, McConaughey will be acting/starring in The Paperboy, Killer Joe, and Mud, both of which I am curious to see, especially The Paperboy, given its polarizing reaction from Cannes, and I want to see which side of the fence I rest on. And I already mentioned Killer Joe, which I will see the second it becomes available to me.

Yes, McConaughey's two best films were over 15 years ago. But I believe his best performances have been of late. He's getting better. And I think directors like Friedkin are taking notice. I hope I'm right.




No comments:

Post a Comment